Grass-fed Beef Jerky Is Better
Check below as we hopefully answer any questions you may have about grass-fed beef jerky and how it affects our beef jerky here at Windward.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF GRASS-FED BEEF JERKY
Why is grass-fed beef better?
- Grass-fed beef is raised on open pastures. These cows are never confined to feed-lots.
- Grass-fed beef is naturally lower in total fat, and doesn't contain any antibiotics or growth hormones.
- Grass-fed beef is higher in Omega-3 fatty acids, which is crucial to a healthy diet and can reduce the risk of many diseases such as heart disease.
- Generally speaking, grass-fed beef is cleaner and healthier than conventional corn-fed beef.
So what exactly is corn-fed beef and how does it differ?
- Cows fed on corn gain more weight, which means they produce more beef per cow that can then be sold to the consumer.
- Most cows fed on corn are also confined to small feedlots in order for producers to more efficiently control their weights; grass-fed cows are allowed to roam naturally on open pastures.
- Corn-fed beef has fewer health benefits than grass-fed beef.
GRASS-FED BEEF MAKES A BETTER JERKY
Does grass-fed beef taste different than normal beef jerky?
- Grass-fed beef produces a little bit stronger of a beef flavor than conventional beef. We also don’t cake on our marinades to our jerky like many other brands, which leaves a better all-around flavor and keeps the integrity of the beef in tact.
Is there a difference in texture with your grass-fed beef jerky?
- Cows raised on grass pastures don’t produce a huge difference in texture, other than being leaner overall. However, grass-fed beef jerky does not have a “pressed” or “processed” texture that some lower quality, corn-fed beef, can have.
Why does grass-fed beef jerky typically cost more than regular beef jerky?
- Grass-fed beef jerky is more expensive for the simple fact that grass-fed beef in general is more expensive. We hope as more companies switch to grass-fed beef then the cost will go down and we can transfer those savings to you.
Finally, what is the shelf-life of your jerky?
- At Windward we guarantee a shelf-life of one year for our beef jerky. We use all-natural preservatives of vinegar powder and celery powder in our jerky. We never use unnatural ingredients in our bags. There is always the possibility in a bag getting torn or having a hole in it, which could result in bad or moldy jerky when you open it - if this is ever an issue please let us know and we will gladly send a new bag.